Friday, April 20, 2012

How to use Old Media to Make New Media Money

Yes, I'm talking about Old Media. PRINT media. The newspaper.

You may not even read a newspaper unless it's on your iPad. I know.

But, believe it or not, people do read the newspaper. The print kind. And of course, most papers are online with mostly full content (except for those with the pesky paywall).

So, how do you use print media to generate money?

Well, it's just like guest blogging. Only it's guest writing. A column.

Most local papers are STARVED for interesting content -- or, any content.

If you're already blogging about an area you're interested in and have some expertise about, you're probably writing 750-900 word articles, anyway. That plus a picture is PERFECT for a newspaper column.

Then what happens?

Your column appears in the paper and you magically make money! (Ok, not really).

But, I've written guest columns for my local paper off and on. When I do, I notice that for the next 2 days, my site traffic goes up. When I first started doing guest columns, I didn't mention my site. Now, I do. You should absolutely use every possible outlet to boost your page views.

After one guest column, I was invited to give a speech at a local civic group. Guess what? I got to pass out material and talk about the topic I write on every day at my blog. I gained readers. Traffic spiked.

So, in short:

1) Inquire with your local paper about guest column opportunities and let them know what topics you'd be willing to cover

2) Write a guest column -- usually 750-900 words. Include a picture and mention of your website.

3) Enjoy a spike in traffic

4) Keep interest flowing by linking to your column from your website and sharing the column via various social media outlets.

Yes, you can use the print dinosaur to help maximize your new media money.

No comments:

Post a Comment